Hi, I have some basic questions regarding MonoGame.

Topics: General, Web, Windows Desktop
Jan 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I've never tried using MonoGame before so I was wondering if I could get some answers to a few questions.

1. Is it possible to develop on Windows 7 with Visual Studio? (I'm asking this because all the tutorials out there seem to be for Windows 8)

2. If so, are there are any helloworld tutorials out there for Windows 7 desktop?

3. Is it possible to develop game applications for a browser similar to Unity or Flash?

Update:

4. I've finished the "Installing Prerequisites on Windows" tutorial. Is there a template for a Windows desktop template? I didn't see one in "Creating a Game class".

5. I'm assuming it doesn't but does Monogame require XNA to work?

6. I have Visual Studio 2012 open. In the Templates > Visual C# > Windows, I currently do not see a Monogame template. Could someone give me some pointers? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. In the Solution Explorer I see the following 3 projects...

- Lidgren.Network.Windows

- MonoGame.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Windows

- MonoGame.Framework.Windows

Isn't there supposed to be a MonoGame project template that should be selectable?

Basically I'm trying to do a helloworld. :)

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Anyone?

Developer
Jan 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM

1. Yes, if you are targeting anything but Windows 8.

2. XNA Hello World tutorials are a good place to start

3. Not officially. Though technomage did create a browser demo, and the guys behind Bastion did release a version of MonoGame on Chrome.

4. Grab the Windows installer, which should have the VS project templates.

5. No... and Yes. the Yes part is that we make use of the Content Pipeline from XNA. Works has begun on a cross-platform content pipeline, so stay tuned.

6. Yes there should be, if there is then there may be an issue with the installer. 

D.

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM

> 1. Is it possible to develop on Windows 7 with Visual Studio?

Yes...  you just cannot build for Windows 8 Store or Windows Phone 8 apps.

> 3. Is it possible to develop game applications for a browser similar to Unity or Flash?

There was some work on making a browser plugin, but nothing official yet.  It would be a very neat project, but would suffer the same as other custom plugins... lack of adoption.

> 5. I'm assuming it doesn't but does Monogame require XNA to work?

To build content it currently still does.  Install the WP7 SDK and the updates for it and you should be fine.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Thank you for the reply. I did some XNA tutorials a long time ago. I'll have to check them out again.

An interesting thing was when installing OpenTK I got the following 2 errors...

- The VSIX Installer says, "This extension is not installable on any currently installed products." So I took a look at the Install Log and it seems it requires Visual Studio 2010 to be installed.

- The second error I got was saying that NSHader 1.1 requires Visual Studio 2008.

Do I need to have all these older versions of Visual Studio installed to have OpenTk to install correctly? (I'm using VS 2012)

I'm currently downloading Visual Studio 2010 so I can actually install OpenTK. I'm hoping the NShader 1.1 will just install for VS 2010.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2013 at 10:51 PM
TomSpilman wrote:

> 5. I'm assuming it doesn't but does Monogame require XNA to work?

To build content it currently still does.  Install the WP7 SDK and the updates for it and you should be fine.

I'm trying to understand, so you mean installing the WP7 SDK and the updates will automatically install XNA?

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Why are you installing OpenTK separately?  We have the required binaries in MonoGame.

XNA Game Studio 4.0 is installed as part of the Windows Phone 7 SDK.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM
slygamer wrote:

Why are you installing OpenTK separately?  We have the required binaries in MonoGame.

XNA Game Studio 4.0 is installed as part of the Windows Phone 7 SDK.

In your documentation section it says...

MonoGame Documentation

All the Latest documentation is available on GitHub.

The documentation here is out of date. If you are looking for tutorials then go here.

I was looking at your tutorial and followed the instructions -------------------------------------------^

...and doing the prerequisites...

https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/wiki/Tutorials%3Aprerequisites

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM
We need to revise those. We need to clarify what is and is not required, for both Visual Studio and MonoDevelop.
Jan 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Hey, thanks for the swift reply.

Downloading Windows Phone SDK 7.1 now as we speak.

So, I only needed to download and install the MonoGame 3.0 (beta) and Windows Phone SDK 7.1 to create a helloworld in Visual Studio 2012?

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Correct. That should be all that is required.
Jan 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM

That's awesome. I'll tell you what happens as soon as WP 7.1 finishes installing.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Edited Jan 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Hmm, I've installed both the MonoGame 3.0 (beta) from the Download section and have installed the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 but I still do not see a selectable MonoGame template in Visual Studio 2012. :( Do you have any idea why this would be?

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2013 at 1:35 AM
I think this may been fixed after that beta, but if you have Visual Studio 2010 templates in My Documents, you can copy them into the Visual Studio 2012 templates directory in My Documents.
Jan 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Yay! It worked! Thank you so much! :)