new Xamarin 2.0 just announced

Topics: Announcements
Feb 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM
new Xamarin 2.0 just announced...

one very good new (paid) feature - full lifecycle for iOS under Visual Studio (edit, compile, debug, ...)

please note: users of visual studio will not be able to use it in trial and indie versions. not even just for emulator tests/debug, which is a shame :(

Nikopol

http://blog.xamarin.com/announcing-xamarin-2.0
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Very cool.
full lifecycle for iOS under Visual Studio (edit, compile, debug, ...)
I think to build for iOS you still need a Mac PC. From the FAQ:

"To build for iOS, you'll need the latest iOS SDK (currently iOS 6), which requires an Intel-based Mac running OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)."

The new $299 price should be helpful for many MonoGame developers. Having the free edition disallow p/invoke might be a problem... we need to investigate that.
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Dev for iOS in Visual Studio does require a network connection to a Mac as it does the compiling and debugging on the Mac that has the device connected to it. This is then exposed via VS.

I have a feeling the Starter Edition may be too restricted for use with MonoGame. I'm sure MonoGame itself would be more than 32KB of IL.

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
The biggest restriction being not allowing p/invoke.

I know Xamarin needs to pay people, but $999 per-developer per-year seems more expensive that Visual Studio. In fact our MSDN subscription is cheaper as we only pay $799 per-year to upgrade it and that comes with OS and other software licenses.
Feb 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM
i agree... 999 per year/per platform seems a bit high compared with the previous prices
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM
For a bit there I was confused and thought... well $999 per-developer per-year would be ok for support for iOS AND Android. But that is not the case.

It is $999 per-developer per-year per-platform.

So for us on Android cost went from $399 to $999 with no changes in functionality.
Feb 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM
That's pretty expensive. It will probably turn off most of the XBLIG refugees.
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM
$299 for the Indie edition which would suit most people. Reading the FAQ, it also appears that existing licensees keep their original renewal price.
Developer
Feb 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM
No WCF or LLVM compiler without going to the $999 version is a bit dumb for those of us who were previously paying $399 for these features.
Both of these are counted as 'Business Features'.

According to the Xamarin site, my iOS and Android subscriptions expire today, damn it! :-(
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM
No WCF or LLVM compiler without going to the $999 version
This looks more and more like just a price increase.

They offer a more limited version for $299 and one even further limited for free, but what you used to get is more expensive.

For MonoGame our goals are to make sure as best as possible the code works with even the free version.
Developer
Feb 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I just updated our website post about it...

We have since found out that currently MonoGame and Starter Edition will not work (due to pInvoke we use in MG and size), but we are working with Xamarin to get the MonoGame binaries whitelisted and shipped with a future release of the Indie product. Stay tuned.
Coordinator
Feb 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
we are working with Xamarin to get the MonoGame binaries whitelisted
Very cool! That will be extremely helpful for people dipping their toe into MonoGame development.
Developer
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Wow, I fear this will simply send more developers over to Unity. I'm pretty sure that previously the prices for Xamarain iOS/Android was exactly the same as Unity Indie iOS/Android.
Mar 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM
It would be great if MonoGame could work with the starter as well, so students and people who just want to play about with it, $300 per year is quite a commitment, so people need to try it out first, an for me, I can't afford it with my finances, but I would like to develop in preparation.

Also the MonoDevelop.MonoGame_3.0.0.mpack doesn't work with Xamarin Studio 4, which replaces MonoDevelop? Citing the Core v3 and Ide v3

I remember the first time I got my silly little game working on the Android emulator with MonoGame and MonoDevelop, it was such fun to see