TY the Tasmanian Tiger using MonoGame

Topics: Announcements
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2013 at 3:48 AM
The project I have been working on has just been announced. TY the Tasmanian Tiger is making a return after his ten year anniversary, coming to Windows 8 and published by Microsoft Studios, powered by MonoGame.
Developer
Mar 12, 2013 at 4:46 AM
Awesome news! The production values look amazing.
Developer
Mar 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Fantastic news Steve!

Hoping to post this when the Americans wake up. And hopefully in the future a postmortem, if you decide to take it to other platforms.

D.
Mar 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM
That looks absolutely fantastic! Nice!
Out of interest, if you don't mind saying, how much resource did that take to produce? (i.e. number of people and time)?
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM

3 programmers (2 full time, 1 part time)
2 texture artists
Animator
2 level designers
Sound/music engineer
Producer (also did some code and level design)
Tools programmer (in-house 2D skinned animated sprite editor and level builder)

We've been working on it full time since June 2012.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Cool. That sounds like is a nice sized team.
Good luck with the game!
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2013 at 5:16 AM
@Dom -

http://monogame.net/news/2013/03/12/ty-tasmanian-tiger-coming-windows-8

The trailer in the news story isn't visible in IE or Chrome.
Developer
Mar 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM
@Tom, I had forgotten to switch the news item markup from Filtered HTML to Full HTML. Should be displaying now.

D.
Developer
Mar 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Steve any time frame for when Ty will be released? Other platforms?

D.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I know we're supposed to finish it in the next month or so. As for release date, I have no idea. Likely to be mid-year.
Jul 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Hi Sly,

Just saw that this has been released to the Windows Store -- any chance of a trial mode?

Thanks,

Adam.
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM
The game has trial mode fully supported, but unfortunately Microsoft as the publisher made the decision not to offer trial mode in the Store, as they have also done for their other recently released titles.​ It was a business decision on their side.

Sly
Developer
Jul 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM
News item posted on MonoGame.net and tweeted about.
Developer
Jul 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Re trial mode. I saw some OUYA data recently where it seemed having a trial mode actually seemed to hurt sales. Maybe some awesome screenshots and some catchy blurb would get people to jump in without dipping their toes in first, then walking away.
It really would be interesting to know if trials to help.

D.
Jul 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Hi Sly,

Oh, that's not at all what I was expecting you to say! Microsoft have always been champions of trial modes on Windows Phone, I wonder why they're doing that now? Though, thinking about it, the new HALO games don't have trial modes on W8 or WP8.

Which is a real shame, as I'm just not prepared to pay for a game I've not had a chance to try (OK, perhaps I might consider it if it's £0.79, but not if it's very much more). So I guess I'll be trying less and less Microsoft-published games in the future. :-(

Adam.