Answers needed

Topics: General, Jobs/Help Wanted, Windows Desktop, Windows Phone
Sep 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM
ok, so xna has been discontinued, thats old news, what I want to know is if you can make a game in XNA (any platform) and when finished, change it to monogame. Also, do you need the monogame license (like 800 bucks :/) to release a game on Windows Phone Marketplace or just for Windows 8. I would prefer to just keep developing in XNA and live without monogame but im not sure if you can release XNA games to anything anymore. Please answer.
Sep 25, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Okay, so, you are confused on many fronts. let me try to straighten them out.

(1) Although you CAN write a game using the old XNA which is still available, Microsoft recommends against it. It is no longer supported and all the platforms it did support are now supported by Monogame.

(2) If you have a game already written in XNA it should mostly port. There are still some differences and limitations between XNA and Monogame but they are minor.

(3) Monogame is free. Absolutely, totally and completely free. On the Windows platforms (including Windows phone), your Monogame game runs on .NET. On Linux and OSX your game runs on the open source port of .NET called Mono. All this is free, too.

What you are probably thinking of is Xamarin, which is the port of the Mono to IOS and Android. Those are commercial ports and require a license fee to Xamarin. So if you want to deploy to IOS or Android, yes you need to buy that. The Indy developer license cost is about $300.00 per platform, although there are great academic deals available if you are a Professor or current student at a recognized institution of higher learning.
Sep 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I have better knowledge know. Just one thing, you said "all the platforms it DID support" does this mean I cant develop and release an XNA game for anything? I am developing games for targeting Windows 8 and Windows phone 7.
Sep 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM
I do not believe there is an XNA for Windows 8 though you may be able to run a Windows 7 XNA game on it. The Windows Phone 7 SDK has XNA however it is not a currently supported Microsoft product.

The word from Microsoft (and I got this from the lips of their evangelism team) is that XNA is no longer a supported Microsoft product and they recommend anyone starting development now use Monogame.
Sep 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM
I develop on windows 8 with XNA and it works fine...
Sep 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Minor correction on OSX: IF you want to distribute through the App store or as a fully self-contained package (e.g. Mono built into your app, no external dependencies), you will need the $300 XamMac license. You can still distribute a non-App store app for free with Monomac by requiring the user to install the mono runtime, which is in the same boat as Linux.
Sep 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Fair enough on the Osx App build. :)
Sep 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM
FYI:

"XNA Game Studio remains a supported toolset for developing games for Xbox 360, Windows and Windows Phone. Many developers have found financial success creating Xbox LIVE Indie Games using XNA. However, there are no plans for future versions of the XNA product. "

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-01-microsoft-were-not-phasing-out-directx-but-no-new-xna-is-coming

"a Microsoft representative told Polygon. "Many developers have found financial success creating Xbox LIVE Indie Games using XNA. However, there are no plans for future versions of the XNA product." The program will be retired on April 1st, 2014."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/77672/microsoft-xna-to-be-retired-casting-doubt-on-xbox-live

Do what you like, but this is the official word from Microsoft.
Sep 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM
XBoxLive Indie games is not supported at all. My account broke, and there was absolutely no one there who could fix it. They (the xbox live team & the windows phone team) told me to register a new account and start over because there was no one on the xbox indie side to help me. All my submitted XNA XBox games deleted since I couldn't log in, I couldn't renew. They just left the servers on, but that shouldn't be confused with an actual support team. If something goes wrong, you can kiss your investment goodbye.
Sep 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
AidanG97 wrote:
I develop on windows 8 with XNA and it works fine...
XNA will work on Windows 8 in the "Desktop Mode" because of the Win32/64 compatibility. However, if you want to write a Windows Store game (the kind that works on an ARM-based Windows RT tablet -- like a regular, non-Pro Surface tablet), XNA isn't supported. Monogame will be the closest to XNA you'll get there.