Its here, MonoGame 3.0 is finally here. A lot of work has gone into preparing this major release, with considerable refactoring of the code base to support 3D.
See the Breaking changes section below to see some of the things that have changed that might effect your app.What's New
- 3D (many thanks to Infinite Flight Studios for the code and Sickhead Games in taking the time to merge the code in)
- New platforms: Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, OUYA, PlayStation Mobile (including Vita)
- Custom Effects
- PVRTC support for iOS
- iOS supports compressed Songs
- Skinned Meshs
- VS2012 templates
- New Windows Installer
- New MonoDevelop Package/AddIn
- A LOT of bug fixes
- Closer XNA 4 compatibility
Enormous thanks to Tom, Steve, Dean, Aranda and Jacob for making all this possible.
Thanks to all of our contributors for raising issues and fixing bugs.
We would also like to thank Xamarin
for their continued support.
We will continue to enhance this stable release over the next few months.Visual Studio
It contains an Installer which will install a binary release of MonoGame on windows boxes for Visual Studio (2010 and 2012) with the following platforms.
If you need to build for iOS or Mac you will need to get the source code at this time as the installers for those platforms are not available yet.
The installer will also install the Project templates for Visual Studio 2010 , 2012. For those of you wishing to use the normal windows port it will install and include the OpenAL installer.MonoDevelop
For those of you using MonoDevelop, you can Install the Templates and Runtimes for MonoDevelop from the "Add In Manager" within MonoDevelop. It requires MonoDevelop 3.x. The MonoDevelop package can also be downloaded manually and installed again from the "Add In Manager" using the "Install from File" option.
This package/AddIn can be used on Windows, Linux and Mac. It contains the following platforms
- Assembly names have changed they are not longer suffixed with the Platform name e.g MonoGame.Framework.Android.dll is now MonoGame.Framework.dll.
- Assemblies are installed into a platform based directory structure <Program Files x86>MonoGame\v3.0\Assemblies\<Platform> this is to keep them seperate (as they all have the same name now).
- If you have existing projects based on the previous BETA installer you might need to re-reference the assemblies in their new locations.
- The Samples for some of the platforms need to be upgraded to the latest release, so some of them will not compile at the moment, this will be taken care of as a matter of urgency.
If you want to get the source for this release just grab the latest code drop from github. https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/archive/v188.8.131.52.zip
The dependencies can be downloaded from https://github.com/kungfubanana/MonoGame-Dependencies/zipball/master
Any feedback should be raised on githubhttps://github.com/mono/MonoGame/issues
If you raise an issue please include as much detail as possible, such as your hardware platform, type of GPU on your device, and especially the revision number of your device's operating system. If possible, include a link to sample code that demonstrates the issue so that we can reproduce it.
If you want to get involved please go ahead and fork the repository on github and get your hands dirty, we are always looking for new people to join in.